A pair of curtains…

Well, it’s taken some time, but I got there in the end. I have managed to progress beyond the thinking about it stage and have actually made a dress from … a pair of curtains.

For the last few weeks I’ve been at home while L and J were off school for the Easter holidays. I think that the sunny weather and various lovely blogs (of which I will credit soon) have inspired me and given me the kick up the backside I needed to get going on a project.

I actually made a different style dress from the curtains last year, an a-line number that did my  figure no favours what so ever!  So, it was banished to the box of bad mistakes but stayed on my mind as unfinished business (I hate to see beautiful fabric wasted) …  A year on it had to come out for another attempt.

This time I enjoyed the challenge (the break did me good perhaps) and despite rather a lot of unpicking of the newly added waist band, some gathers and more darts than I care to mention, I think I got quite a good fit. I didn’t use a pattern, just a bit of patience, but it was quite simple really. I put in an invisible zip on the side seam and a bow at the (slightly big) neckline. I would really have liked pockets as I’m always hiding my hands in them, but ran out of fabric. The waist band is a little bit wobbly, but cleverly disguised with a belt (so don’t look too closely!).

The sun has gone in again now, but when it comes out again I’ll wear it with pride … and just hope no one recognises the fabric as their old curtains!

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under makes

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s