My Von Trapp skirt …

Finally, I have made my summer skirt from the charity shop curtain.

It does look as if  Maria and the Von Trapp children helped me, but I’m pleased nonetheless!

I abandoned my 1970s pattern plans as there wasn’t quite enough fabric and unsurprisingly … made it up. Oh well, it worked, that’s the main thing. I made it from one piece of material, shaping it with darts at the back, side darts and some pleats at the front. I wasn’t sure whether to face it or put a waist band on but opted on the latter in the end and it looks good. I struggled with the first button hole (rather annoyingly) and have ended up sewing it up as a phantom button hole and putting a hook and eye behind as it was just slightly off its mark.

The buttons and ric rac are from my bits and bobs tin, you can see why they had to be used! I am so pleased with the pockets but when it came to sewing them on I almost gave up. I have learnt that pockets and pleats aren’t so good together and I think I unpicked them 4 times before settling on a position. Perhaps they weren’t such a success but how could I not use them when they are sooooo pretty!

I’m pleased it’s done, the only problem now is finding a top to match …

I have some ideas for a dress next (made up of course).

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under finds, makes

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s