Days 8 – 14:
8th May: Cold enough to be able to wear my Laurel dress with some tights and boots.
9th May: No MMM today, hectic night before and so jeans and jumper for work.
10th May: Spotty Dotty Sorbetto (this is such a useful top) and jeans.
11th May: Sunny pink Sorbetto to brighten up an otherwise dull old day with a green cardigan and jeans.
12th May: No me mades today either but I’m still on target so don’t be too disappointed!
13th May: My London Dress gets another day out and some compliments too.
14th May: Laurel dress again, with charity shop cardi.
Me Made May is very clever. Like a wise parent of a child that thinks they know best, it gently nudges you in the right direction, allowing you to think you came to the correct outcome yourself without any help whatsoever.
For me, I know I have gaping holes in my wardrobe, but the little girl in me (very, very deep inside and refusing to go anywhere because who wants to grow up?) continues to make sweet dresses. Me Made May watches over me each morning and knowingly smiles as I stand in my undies at the open wardrobe and sigh, “Bugger, what the hell can I wear today?” I think it’s time to except MMM knows best and make myself some trousers …
and I will, just as soon as I finish this dress …
Filed under makes, ranting
Finally, I have some photos of my finished Sorbetto and jolly pleased with it I am too. Today is this tops second outing, in fact, I think it will be one of the few things I’ve made that I won’t be ashamed to wear out! I know, my head is missing … wet hair, no mascara and a case of catching Jimmy with camera in hand, just as he was leaving for work this morning. “Don’t get my head in!”
Does it look a bit odd that the band at the bottom cuts off the panel? It looks OK in real life but just a little weird in the photo. Definitely an essential addition for me to add this band (of course if I’d had enough fabric I’d have just added a bit to the bottom of the pattern), a stubborn bit of tummy that likes to hang over my jeans needs to be hidden so a bit of patch work was in order!
The sleeves (see last post) worked a treat too and I’m really pleased with the contrast binding. I did sew a couple of buttons on but actually it was a bit much (ric rac, spots and buttons?), so they were whipped off in a jiffy and just in case you’re not sure of my feelings towards this top, I’m very chuffed!
I wore this last week to Oxford to see Bonnie Prince Billy and the Trembling Bells (excellent gig) and today I’m wearing it to see a lovely friend for lunch. Usually, a trip to Kate’s house is combined with a trip to H&M, but all my consumer yearnings have disappeared lately and I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the satisfaction you get from making your own clothes.
Here’s to a productive, home made weekend, have a lovely one x
On Friday, Jimmy and I had the day off together. He sorted out the pantry into an organised space for food and crockery (“I hate this cupboard!” he exclaims on a regular basis) and I started another Sorbetto top (these tops are addictive). This time I’m using a flimsy, dotty viscose (I think that’s what it is) from my bag of bits – it slips and slides all over the place in an attempt to upset me, but I haven’t given up! After the cotton Sorbetto, it really is a new experience, but the lovely soft drape changes it completely. I managed to get quite a lot done on Friday but what with one thing and another have had to wait until today to carry on.
Anyway, this time I have cut it out in two pieces and despite being a bit tricky to sew, I think it has worked well. I’ve sewn it all with French seams, so it’s nice and tidy and I’ve added black binding and a bit of ric rac (I LOVE ric rac!) to the neckline and front panel. But, most satisfyingly I have added some sleeves! I was trying to draft a pattern for these myself (hopeless!) before I realised this was available (thank you Sew, Incidentally!). My top is size 4 but I have added a couple of gathers on the shoulders and it all went together really easily. (The photo shows my mock up sleeve, just to be sure it would fit).
My only problem is the length. It is just a tiny bit too short (I knew this from Sorbetto mark 1) but if I’d cut it out allowing for this then I wouldn’t have had enough fabric for sleeves. I’m not sure if it will hang nicely if I use the black bias binding I have already (it seems a bit stiff), so I might make some with the scraps of main fabric I’ve got and hopefully add a bit to the length rather than lose some …. hmm, decisions, decisions!
I’ll add a photo when it’s finished, but for now, this is Brill Hill in the rain on Friday. We took a break from our demolition of said cupboard and construction of said top, drove up to Brill with a bag of fish and chips and sat admiring the views in the heavy rain, snug, smug and happily dry in our car, yum!
Hopefully very soon I’ll have a finished top to show you, but for now bye bye!